Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Rock Star

My son is a rock star. No, not a Superstar (Editor's note: think Molly Shannon. The copyright nazis struck)... a rock star.

Dropping him off at preschool is like The Beatles at Heathrow. Ok, I expect a certain adoration on the part of the teachers; he is, after all, a damn cute kid. But, what defies explanation is his classmates' compulsion to swarm the little guy the moment he sets foot in the room. Every day we pause as we get to the classroom door. He peers through the window, gauging the crowd's temperament. "You ready?" I ask. "Let's do it" he responds, as if he's about to step out of a limo into a horde of paparazzi and screaming fans. The door swings open, and with it comes the cry "Bryaaaaaaaaan!!!" On cue, ten 3 year-old boys stop what they're doing, their heads popping up like little prairie dogs out of their burrows, followed by a mad dash to lay hands on King Julian (damn, they struck again!) of Room 502. At what age does the concept of the "personal bubble" take shape?

4 comments:

Kelley said...

HA HA! Just wait: Soon, Bryan will be coming home from 3rd grade complaining because everyone wants to sit next to him at lunch and he JUST WANTS SOME SPACE! You'll see. It's fun!

BTW: Bully for you for actually posting to your blog. My writing aspirations seem to have already gone the way of my no-more-junk-food resolution. Sigh.

Dubber said...

I'm curious, and perhaps concerned, to see if his charisma carries over to the girls. Part of me--the guy part of me--thinks "hey, that's my boy!" The other part of me--the parent part of me--fears I might someday utter "oh My GOD, you did what?!"

So, why do you think you're in a writing slump?

Kelley said...

Just keep him away from the girls across the way, eh? :)

Writing slump: surgery, stress, headaches, travel, self-doubt. That pretty much sums it up.

Dubber said...

He does have a thing for older women. ;) I think he's got a crush on one of his caregivers at preschool, though I'll remain silent as to his taste in women (having given the little guy a nudge, wink and thumbs up).

Surgery, stress, headaches, travel, and self-doubt all sound like worthy topics on which to write. C'mon--get back out there and write.

Day by Day by Chris Muir